Look What's Inside a Leica Telescope!
- (1) The exquisite optical system maximizes brilliance and
resolution. The 77mm (just over 3 inches) front lens diameter can discern fine detail well into twilight. The resulting large
exit pupil (cone of light exiting the eyepiece) assures comfortable observation with no eyestrain.
Matched to the sensitivity of the human eye, the anti-reflection multiple
coating of all air to glass surfaces of the optical system ensures a brilliantly clear, razor sharp image. A hard coating
(acid Class 3) makes the external surfaces extremely scratch and corrosion resistant.
- (2) The integrated, retractable rubber-armored lens hood
incorporates an added aiming device making it easy to home in quickly on smaller subjects, even under extremely poor light
- (3) The durable, all metal die-cast and precision machined aluminum
alloy housing is shock and impact resistant. Waterproof and dry nitrogen filled, neither humidity nor dust can penetrate the
interior of the spotting telescope even when changing oculars in the field!
- (4) The generous seating surface, permits a rigid connection to any
commercially available tripod (of 3/8" or 1/4" set screw), thus assuring steady and firmly lined up view of the subject even
at extreme magnifications under windy conditions.
- The precise construction of the rotating tripod collar allows the angled
Televid 77 (depicted above) telescope to be rotated to various convenient positions for target shooting, or when observing
prone. It is possible for two observers to share the telescope simply by swinging the instrument back and forth - all the
while with the instrument remaining precisely centered on target.
- (5) The handy partial rubber armoring and rubber covered eyecup
serves for structural and cosmetic impact protection, easy handling even in extremely cold environments, and noise suppression
(in the event of striking it while on the move for example).
- (6) The optical design of the objectives, prisms, and eyepieces are
optimized to provide a maximum possible, highly corrected wide field of view whether or not the observer employees eyeglasses
or not. Eyepieces with shifted exit pupils for prescription spectacle or sunglass (even polarized) wearers are a Leica
specialty that enables them to observe the entire field of view without compromise. This also facilitates the sharing of the
instrument between partners and use either with or without prescription spectacles or conventional sunglasses (including
- Superior ocular (eyepiece) optical and mechanical design features good
eye relief. With easy to use rubber padded, retractable (snap in or out) eyecups similar to those on the Leica binoculars where
there is no need to bother with traditional
rubber eyecups and their associated wear and tear, or the associated hazards of smearing the eyepiece lenses while folding a
hood down with ones fingers. With the eyecup pulled out and snapped
into place, it acts to shield the eye from lateral distraction, and it provides solid support to the viewer. With the touch of
a finger, eyeglass wearers can push the eyecup down and place the eyepiece directly against their eyeglasses.
- The very broad field of view subtends a large picture angle, so that
anything that moves can be easily kept in sight.
- The extraordinarily close near focusing distance of only 3.95 meters (13
feet) makes the Televid 77 spotting telescope particularly effective for the observation of small living things like
butterflies, for exciting close up views.
- (7) The Leica Televid 77 has a trend setting ergonomic design
distinguishing itself by the ease of operating the control elements. Convenient and uncomplicated, in the Leica tradition.
- Dual focusing (coarse adjustment of 3-1/2 turns, or fine adjustment of 14
turns for focusing from 3.95 m (13 ft.) to infinity further enhances the ease of using the spotting scope by facilitating fast
and accurate focusing.
Go to Leica price list
Back to Leica binoculars page
Back to Leica products